Suitable for anyone who works in an environment with people who have epilepsy in their care.
This course fulfils the core competencies of the administration of rectal diazepam as laid down by the joint epilepsy council.
Students gain a basic awareness of epilepsy and competence in the administration of rectal diazepam and buccal midazolam
- National statistics
History of epilepsy
- Developments in understanding Epilepsy through time
- Where are we now?
- Brain, Cell & Neuron
- How neurons communicate
- ILAE classifications of seizures
First aid principles
- Management of Seizures
- Facts & stats
- Use of rectal diazepam with simulated practice (OSCE)
- Use of buccal midazolam with simulated practice (OSCE)
- 3 steps to risk assessment
- Home work and play
- Assessment & learning
- Continual assessment
- Simulated practice (OSCE)
- MCQ paper